The Lockdown is probably over and people seem to get back to their jobs. But is the nation fully ready to socialize? And while we are waiting for our favourite food outlets and restaurants to open dine-in facilities, we cannot let our taste buds suffer the brunt of this pandemic. Can we? So, today I’ve brought to you one of my favourite recipes, “The Vegetarian Thai Curry”.
What is Thai Curry?
Thai curry refers to the dishes made of the curry paste, coconut milk, water, vegetables ( or meat and seafood), herbs and spices. The concept of curry in Thai cuisine is same as the one in Indian cuisine; the only difference between the two is the use of herbs and spices. Imagine the burst of flavours and aroma, the crunch of veggies and the creamy-soup texture! Yes, that’s what an authentic thai curry is all about and I am way too excited to share the DIY recipe with my fellow foodies.
- 1 Stalk lemongrass
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Sliced Onions
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 cups tofu (medium-firm, cubed)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup vegetable stock (mushroom, beans, carrots, bell peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 350 ml coconut milk
- 50 ml water
- 1tbsp of cornstarch
- Soak 2 dry red chillies in warm water for about 20mins and then cool it, grind it to make a paste.
- Separately grind lemongrass, if you don’t have lemon grass you can separately grind 2tbsp lemon, handful of coriander and an inch of ginger. This is an alternative to lemongrass and enhances the taste of the curry
- In a pan, add one tbsp oil and add 2 sliced onions and 4-5 garlic pods and cook on low heat for about 5 mins. Take it out, let it cool and grind it. Keep this paste separately.
- In a pan now add 2tbsp butter and sauté all the vegetables. Start with mushroom then beans then add carrots and bell peppers to which you can add tofu and season it with salt and pepper. You can now take these out.
- Now take a big pan and add 2tbsp oil, keeping it at medium heat, now add the onion paste and stir it nicely for about 3-4 mins until aromatic.
- To this add the red chilli paste and the lemongrass paste and cook for 2mins. For a more authentic colour You can use kashmiri red chilli powder at this step.
- To this we add, 350ml of coconut milk to this ,keeping the heat low and 50ml water and give it a good stir.
- To thicken it, we now add 1 big tbsp of cornstarch into this and stir well to avoid any lumps. Add 1tbsp of salt, 1tbsp of chilli powder, 1/2tbsp of black pepper powder.
- We now add all the sautéed vegetables or protein in. And mix well.
- Check once again for the salt and serve piping hot with steamed or sticky rice.
A bowl of thai curry and steamed rice can mesmerise any thai-food lover. Moreover, it is one the healtiest food recipes. As you might have noticed, the recipe includes tofu (or chickpeas, according to your choice) for protein, plus lots of healthy vegetables, you’ll want to serve both family and friends. It is one of the most aromatic; flavorful curries and I bet, you’ll love this curry! Bon Appétit!