Did you know about Turkish pide? If not, then you had been unknown to one of the best flavours out there. But worry not! Today we will learn how to make Turkish Pide in just 3 easy steps.
What is Pide?
Pide, also known as Turkish boat-shaped pizza, is a wonderful fast food that no one can turn down. It is a type of focaccia with crispy edges stuffed with various fillings. Our favorite filling is with meat, onions and tomatoes. I have topped it with mozzarella but sometimes we can also break an egg in the middle to take our joy to the next level.
Ingredients for Turkish Pide
- 500gms flour
- 325ml water
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- Mince Meat
- Yeast – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Baking powder- 1/2 tbsp
NOTE: KINDLY ADHERE TO THE MEASUREMENTS FOR THE BEST DOUGH!
Procedure for Turkish Pide: 3 Easy Steps
- Firstly, we will prepare a mixture of flour, yeast, salt, sugar and baking soda. Add water to this mixture and knead it for 7-8 minutes. Cover it with oil and leave it in a bowl for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, we will prepare the filling for turkish pide:
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and 250gms of mince meat (I used chicken). Brown the onions, add the chicken and then add tomatoes in the form of puree. Let it cook on simmer and cover it with a lid. Once done, add seasoning: Mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut the dough in 6-8 pieces. Put it out on a dusted surface. Roll it out in a rectangle.
- Apply the filling in the centre and hold the edges. Invert it inside to shape it like a boat.
- Top it with fresh mozzarella and bake it in a baking tray/ pizza stone, for 20-30 minutes at 300 degrees/ highest temperature possible.
- For vegetarian options; you can use a regular pizza sauce instead of the filling, and top it with fresh mozzarella and basil.
- Once baked, apply melted butter on the corners to enhance the taste.
Well, being an Indian, it is very hard for me to avoid spices and herbs. But trust me, turkish pide will never disappoint you with its amazing with dainty flavours. For a truly authentic experience, learn how to make Turkish coffee from Fool Proof Living. Let me know about your take on this recipe, in the comments section below.